Friday, May 4, 2012

Friday Photos - The Bounty

This past weekend, The Bounty made a four day pit stop in my town's little harbor. I'm not going to go into a long history lecture, but let's just say ten dollars was worth it to walk the deck where Marlon Brando once stood...well actually it was a little pricey especially since they didn't let us keelhaul anyone nor did they let us walk any plank what-so-ever. And yeah, I know The Bounty is not a pirate ship, but still there was a mutiny so that should count for something!

Anyway in order to get some decent full shots of the Bounty, I jumped out of the car - at my sister's urging - while it was stopped on the drawbridge.



The helm faced the stern?? I wasn't sure what to make of that. It's one thing to be on the stern but to navigate with your back to the bow? That doesn't seem right!


These tables were in the open "crew quarters" which is now filled with a table selling tee shirts and photographs.

One of the officers quarters.

Officer's mess.

Looking up through the cargo hatch.

The stern was closed off which was sad because so many wonderful photo ops were completely lost.



So much rope. Coils and coils!

They didn't even let us fire the cannon!

14 comments:

  1. I would have loved that. They probably would have had a hard time getting be off the ship. I love those old ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My one dream is to be own a tall ship and sail around the world pretending to be a pirate. Unfortunately, even docked, standing on the deck of the Bounty made me a bit queasy...stupid sea sickness!

      Delete
  2. This is a beauty. I guess ten dollars isn't really much compared to the experience of being on one of these sailing ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a decent price and the girls were only five, so win all around I think!

      Delete
  3. I was really hoping for a picture of you swabbing the poop deck, but I guess your pictures are pretty nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! You'd think that if we weren't allowed to keelhaul someone then the least they could do would be to let us swab a deck or walk a plank. Oh no! It's all "Our insurance doesn't cover that!"

      Delete
  4. Once when we were on a driving holiday with our kids, we missed seeing a fleet of tall ships come into the harbour by a few days. If we hadn't already used up our extra days, we certainly would have stayed to see that. The Black Pearl from the Pirates movies was supposed to be there. It would be nice to see one of those in the harbour because if i was on one out in the ocean, i'd have to spend all my time hurling over the rail. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I make a super pirate on paper - walking the deck, arghing and avasting. But put me on an actual ship and I am the saddest excuse for a pirate ever. I would be right next to you hurling away!

      Delete
  5. I had never seen a real ship before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather!
    I found you through ken-inatractor although I did the A-Z Challenge too. I guess I didn't get directed to you with the Surprise! button. Ha ha!

    I can tell I am going to enjoy your blog and will visit often. I have enjoyed the new 'friends' I've made through the Challenge, and hopefully we can do the same! I read that you are a teacher - elementary? middle school? high school? Other? Curious because I was in education for 15 years and am now a professor in an education department.

    This post has reignited my longing to live on a boat someday...Great photos!!!

    Carrie
    www.hammockinthehoneysuckle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and the praise! I taught 8th grade for 6 years before we moved and I am looking to get into the district I am currently living in.

      Delete
  7. wow i love these ship/boat photos! especially the rope ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I probably took more photos of rope than I did anything else! Weird!

      Delete