Thursday, April 18, 2013

P is for Put a Bee in your Bonnet


When I was little I can remember running to my grandmother in conniptions of excitement, jumping up and down by her side, tugging on her hand or sleeve until I got her devoted attention. With 15+ grandchildren gaining undivided attention especially during summer vacations was tricky. I may have even used manners in interrupting, but I somehow doubt that. Impulsiveness and a serious lack of patience has always plagued me.

Inevitably, once attention was gained, I was scolded for interrupting.

“Who put a bee in your bonnet?” my grandmother would ask with a soft smile.

I would laugh because the thought of wearing a bonnet was absurd enough without having a bee shoved in one. But I never really much thought about the saying beyond it was something that my grandmother said. In the years since her death I’ve often spent time recalling my memories of her and wished that I had more. I wonder sometimes what she might think of my life now and my children. As much as I’d love to have my children know her, I know that in fact they do, a little because I see so much of my grandmother in my mom. Her smile and the twinkle in her eyes when she talks to her grandchildren are so very much my grandmother.

I know many women never want to hear that they have turned into their mothers but our mothers are our very first teachers, our cheerleaders, our greatest supporters and I can think of no higher compliment to my mom to tell her the million little ways she reminds me of grandma.

Put a bee in your bonnet is a phrase from the 1930s that means you have something interesting to tell; however, I think my grandmother used it more to mean “what the heck has gotten into you, Heather!”

Example: “Please, Penelope, stop jumping and tell us who put a bee in your bonnet?” Pansy asked. Penelope preened with pride, “I’ve practiced piccolo pretty much all day and now have Puccini’s Madame Butterfly practically perfect!”

This post has been brought to you by the Letter P and the fine folks at Blogging A to Z. Check out more A to Z blogs here!

21 comments:

  1. Love it - it reminds me of that other saying 'ants in your pants.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must start using all these wonderful phrases, so my son can use them too ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the girls saying a few, but some are just too far out for them to latch onto to.

      Delete
  3. WOW had not heard that one in a very long time.

    Came by from Tales of the Reborn Crafter

    http://talesofthereborncrafter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think someone would laugh in my face if I used this phrase.. Put a Bee in your bonnet.. lol. Happy to connect. Do visit www.disha-doshi.blogspot.com I am following you via #AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of these phrases are certainly silly, but then again some of the current ones are a bit silly too.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love reading about these interesting quotes and where they originated. Good post, and plenty of P words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm having a blast with this theme this year!

      Delete
  6. I'm Romanian so there phrases are quite funny to discover! New follower here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sticking around! I'd love to hear some of the sayings in Romania!

      Delete
  7. It's such a vivid description...no way you cannot visualize that bee buzzing frantically while trying to get out from under the bonnet. -Belinda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that it is so descriptive. I think it's one of the reasons why I like this theme so much!

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your post and the way you fondly recalled such sweet memories of your grandmother.
    It is also heartwarming to hear how much respect you have for your mom. And it is true, as you know from experience as a mother yourself, there is no greater love than a mother’s love.
    I am visiting from the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and your kind words!

      Delete
  9. It's such a funny saying... But when I picture it in my head its quite horrifying.

    Maybe it's all the horror movies I watch.

    Hugs!

    Valerie Nunez and the Flying Platypi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think that maybe you need to tone back on the horror movies but I can see how that could be a horrible torture!!

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of that phrase. I heard of "Do you have ants in your pants?" but I'm not sure if its the same thing or not. I used to be asked that all the time but I can't recall why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that they are related. At least they seem to me that they are.

      Delete
  11. Aw, my grandma used to say that, too! Nice memory :)

    ReplyDelete