Monday, April 15, 2013

M is for Malarkey

I tell stories. Frivolous stories full of unapologetic malarkey and hyperbole. I have been doing this all my life.

When I was little, as my family would sit down to dinner, I would be asked one simple, almost insignificant question: What did you do today, Heather.

Without a second of hesitation I would launch into a detailed description about my day interspersing actual occurrence with snippets of malarkey just to see how far I could take the tale. Nine times out of ten, I was encouraged to spin the tale out further beyond what I could have readily imagined. 

Oh how I wish I had a record of the stories I told. Looking back, I’m sure not a single one of them made sense and my siblings only tolerated my shenanigans because I was the baby of the family.  My childhood was fantasy wrapped in delusion filled to the brim with malarkey.

Today, I still tell wild stories full of malarkey. Just ask the girls about the orangutans that I blame for everything. Or Scott. Poor Scott. Last night while we sat at dinner, a thunderstorm rolled overhead with flashes of lightening and great booms of thunder that shook the windows in their frames. As we ate, I bemoaned the fact that we left my newly purchased bags of soil – the ones for the raised garden bed I’m building – out on the lawn. Unprotected. Scott and the girls looked at me incredulously.

“It’s dirt,” Scott said.

“Yeah,” I sighed, “But it’s my dirt now and I should take better care of it.”

“What are you going to do once you put it in the garden?” He asked.

I looked at him like he was the crazy one, “Put umbrellas over it, obviously.”

Like I said. Malarkey.

Malarkey is a noun from the 1930s that means nonsense.

Example: Marty the Magnificent managed to mumble the magic word making Melvin the Mouse move. “What malarkey!” Marcus moaned at the meager maneuver. 

This post has been brought to you by the Letter M and the fine folks at Blogging A to Z. And by the number 566. Check out more A to Z blogs here!

10 comments:

  1. "smile" Enjoyed this malarky very much. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great word. Also, your parents are so awesome for encouraging you to drag out the malarky further. I was thinking as I was reading, "I would love it if...Oh, her parents did encourage her! Awesome!" Story telling, even if absurd, is a valued commodity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit, my family was pretty awesome. For the most part. There was that time that my siblings tied me to a tree and then conveniently "forgot" about me. But otherwise... :)

      Delete
  3. I like this word. I'm going to use it tomorrow. I promise.

    Jaime at Awakenings and Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use this word every day in front of my kids. So that they can one day say "Remember how mom used to call everything malarkey?"

    Hugs!

    Valerie Nunez and the Flying Platypi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, another word to add to my favorites! I usually say hullabaloo. "That's a bunch of hullabaloo!"

    Come check out my A to Z! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like hullabaloo! It sounds so very English and proper!!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Oh, malarkey! Now that's a fun word. I love the dirt story :)

    ReplyDelete