Friday, February 15, 2013

Friday Photos

I find it oddly appropriate that today's photo is a bird of prey. There's a lawyer joke in there somewhere and next week I think I might get to it but for now...

One of the things I love about living where I do is I get a bit of country all tucked up nicely next to my city. I have a yard with critters and yet it's only a few minutes drive to Barnes and Noble. I have chickens* that wander through my yard yet I'm a mere three miles to the nearest major highway. I have a lovely dicotomy of a neighborhood. I rarely see anyone but when I do they are so friendly it's kind of spooky.

I came home the other day after picking Cyra up from violin lessons and saw a huge bird hanging out in the front yard. I say huge because it was clearly bigger than the blue jays, cardinals and robins that have so recently been chillin'. As I pulled in it just stared at me. Menacing dark eyes all broody like David Duchovny (interesting side story - I once almost named Ashleigh "Duchovny" because I loved the X-Files that much). The bird stood his ground as Cyra and I got out of the car and moved towards the house. It wasn't until Junie came bounding out through the open door that he decided to take to the skies.

Duchovny didn't go far (yup. I named him. I do that.) just up to a tree over hanging the gazebo. There, he continued to glare at me from on high. Fine, I thought, clearly this is a bird who likes to be in the spotlight. I called Junie in, grabbed the camera off of the dining room table and snapped a half dozen shots before Duchovny and his deep broodiness called it quits.

Pensive Duchovny surveying his dominion.

I bet he thinks all the lady hawks will swoon over that smoulder!

It turns out that this is a red-shouldered hawk. I think. At least that's as near as I can figure from comparing the photo to a bird identifying website. And you know, the internet never lies.




*Unfortunately those chickens are not my own. Someday, chickens, someday!

20 comments:

  1. This has to be the first time anyone has described a hawk as "broody like David Duchovny". Not saying you're wrong, just that no one has attributed that quality to a hawk before you. That photo is really great, especially with the sparseness of the tree in Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Have you heard the song "David Duchovny" by Bree Sharpe? She has a line in it that goes: David Duchovny, brooding and comely. Totally sums him up.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. I didn't get all that close to it so I'm really pleased with how the zoom worked!

      Delete
  3. I love wild life, though I live on the coast in the UK. Feeding the birds are a big love of mine.

    My name is Yvonne from Poetry Corner, am one of Arlee Bird's Ambassadors fro the A to Z Challenge. I so like your blog I have become a follower.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll be checking yours out too! I'm working through the A to Z list slowly but surely!

      Delete
  4. What amazing pictures! Wow.

    Hey - I am going to attempt to do a more private blog. I have looked for a way to send along the invite request to you. If you would like, you can send your email via mine at
    ernie89us@yahoo.com

    Would love to stay connected!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks like he's plotting something... Something big. Watch your back just in case!!

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plotting? Maybe. But I can't see anything devious about him. Now those turkey vultures that hang around...those guys are devious plotters of evil!

      Delete
  6. Those pictures are so cool! The only birds I ever see where I live are seagulls, which aren't my favorite :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seagulls are neat in there own way, although if that's all you get to see I can imagine you'd quickly become bored with them!

      Delete
  7. The owner of them chickens had better watch out cause Duchovny would love to get himself some chicken wings. I bet that is what he is waiting for. Watching with his brooding eyes for a lone chicken to wander into his domain.

    Or waiting to find the aliens that took his sister. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh heh just totally imagined the entire series featuring birds of prey instead of actors.

      Delete
  8. Neat pics, Heather! I agree with Queen Holly--Duchovny is probably looking to get himself a tasty chicken for lunch. Yard birds are a pretty easy kill for raptors--slower than a mouse or rabbit, and can't hide as easily as a snake. It's cool that he stayed put long enough for you to take his portrait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird but pretty much everyone in the neighborhood who has chickens let's them roam freely around. I would be scared that they'd get taken by all the hawks and vultures in the area like Duchovny.

      Delete
  9. Duchovny just told you that if he could gulp you down he would.
    Nothing like being assessed by a bird of prey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'd believe that bluff. He didn't seem the type to mess around with!

      Delete
  10. I love red-tailed hawks. Oh, and the X Files. I miss the X Files. I really, really miss it. Duchovny is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the X-Files too except not after David Duchovny left. It just got too...weird! HA! Calling the X-Files "too weird!"

      Delete