Thursday, June 7, 2012

200


My two hundredth post. It doesn’t seem like a lot. Not really. I meant to write something witty and silly. I thought about listing 200 facts about myself but decided that I was way to boring to have 200 facts. I thought about…well…honestly, the 200 hundred facts was as far as I got before I just kind of shrugged my shoulders, sighed and decided to play Sims instead.

The thing is I don’t know what is wrong with me right now. I’m not in a funk. At least, based on my last funk I’m not in one. I’m not sad or depressed or moody. I feel normal and fine. I just…

Sigh.

Maybe it is because it is the end of the year. The end of a school year, that is. And for the past twelve years I have been living a school schedule. I went from Flagler to teaching. I’ve spent more of my life in a classroom than I have anywhere else and I’m surprised to say I really miss it.

I miss my classroom. I miss my teacher friends. I miss sitting with a group of students and helping them grasp a concept they were struggling with. I miss training days. I miss watching a group of unruly 13 year olds become more poised and mature. I miss 8th grade graduation. I miss my end-of-the-year breakfasts I started. I miss the schedule, the bells, the fire drills.

I certainly don’t miss testing days that stretched endlessly, minutes ticking by slower than sloth. I certainly don’t miss the high stakes and the pressure put upon teachers by the administrations, district and state. I really, really don’t miss the mountains of paperwork.

The end of the school year has always been celebrated. A rite, if you will, moving from one year to the next, one stage to the next, one level…The end of the year is like a level up. New knowledge, books, attitude and adventure wait. For the teacher, it is the anticipation of a new year, new lessons, new projects, new kids.

Maybe that’s what I miss.

Maybe it is as simple as that. Or as complicated.

Maybe it is a funk.

6 comments:

  1. Wait, I thought it was no more pencils, no more books, no more teachers' dirty looks? Are you giving us psychological dirty looks? Are you defying the prophet that is Alice Cooper?
    But if the idea of summer vacation were a real thing, why wouldn't we have summer vacation during the months that are pleasant like April-May instead of the oppressively hot like June-August? Are we slaves to the vacation times of oppressive dictators?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I think that there shouldn't be summer vacation. I am a firm believer in year-round school (although admittedly I would have fought tooth and nail if such a thing was suggested when I was a kid). I think it should be a two and a half month semester followed by a two week break.

      Delete
  2. Awww... well, hope you get out of the funk soon. There must be other things to engage you until school starts again? I used to volunteer teach and sometimes I miss it a lot! Not the schedules and planning so much - but just the time spent with kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working my way out, trust me, I like me much better when I'm not all funky! :)

      As for stuff to do...I actually have quite a few things I *need* to do but as I see them mostly as chores, I tend to put it off. But I have fun plans too, so that's something!

      Delete
  3. I am sure you will get back to your spirits again and get something to enjoy the vacations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will too. I am lucky in that my funks don't tend to last long. And I do have some fun activities planned for the girls so I'm looking forward to that!

      Delete