Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Land of Pollen


I like spring. It isn't my favorite season (autumn holds that honor) but I like the whole blooming and growing that happens. Or at least I did until I moved to Florida. My daughter's pediatrician told me shortly after both girls were diagnosed with seasonal allergies that people come to Florida with no allergies but it never stays that way. Instead of picking up some little trinket in a souvenir shop we all got allergies!

And spring is the worst. All of those plants all wanting to procreate pay no heed to the sneezing, wheezing, and watery eyes. I'm pretty sure that Florida chose to eliminate winter this year. It got cold for about two days in December before deciding to just skip right into spring.

Today, for instance, it is 80 degrees outside. In the shade. I'm ready for AC and January isn't even over yet! Now 80 degrees sounds nice I bet, especially to you northerners (how many feet of snow do you have on your back 40, Ken?) but the amount of pollen in the air and on everything is making it darn hard to appreciate the warmth!

That coat of apparent grime on my car? Pollen


That "dirt" on whatever plant this is on my patio? HA! Pollen!


There are little rivers of thick, yellow pollen running along the driveway, the pond has a near glossy sheen of pollen floating on top. The irony would be, of course, if all the trees and plants listening to Barry White CDs and spreading their love get hit with a frost come February.


10 comments:

  1. One of my co-workers in Japan had terrible allergies, and he said he'd had none until he moved to Florida for college. He also theorized that I've never suffered from allergies because I was born Floridian. Wouldn't surprise me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like his theory! It makes sense. Also, didn't you once tell me that eating local honey helps with allergies? Guess who's hitting the farmer's market this weekend?

      Delete
  2. Wow!! Pollen already?! Crazy! I am ready for spring though. I can not wait for the warmer temps and more sunshine. Allergies are no fun though! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. It's almost in full swing spring mode right now. Although I saw a weather forecast that claims we are going to get a cold front moving in over the next few days. I'll believe it when I see it!

      Delete
  3. My mom lives in FL and she said it was 86 at her place today. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It was 85 yesterday and today? It's down to 60. Jeesh! I wish it would just make up it's mind!

      Delete
  4. Spring is here...

    Stopping by to welcome you on board the A to Z Challenge April 2013.
    Look forward to your challenge posts!
    Please consider putting up the Challenge badge so it is easier to identify your participation.
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly certain that the groundhog hasn't even considered coming out to check for his shadow yet!

      Delete
  5. I'm totally fantasizing about your 80 degree weather!

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny cause I was totally dreaming about snow the other day! I miss sledding and building snowmen and that quiet hush that a snowfall brings.

      Delete