Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Wishes


I’d like to take a break from my favorite memories today and talk, just for a minute, about a few memories I wish I had.

My grandmother, if she were still alive, would be 85 today. My last memories of her are from Christmas in 1991. My nephew was a year old and Grandmother came to visit us. He was the first great grandchild and the only one she ever got to meet. She took such delight in him, holding him, snuggling him, talking to him and responding to his baby babble. Although my nephew has no memory of this, I am nevertheless jealous that she knew him but not my children.

I wish my grandmother could have watched me graduate from high school and later from college.

I wish my grandmother could have met my daughters.

I wish I had more time with my grandmother to hear her stories and make more memories.

I wish I could remember her voice and her laugh.

5 comments:

  1. I love this post, and I know exactly how you feel, I always wish my grandfather could have met my daughter, but in a way I always feel like he sent her to us.
    She is there watching over you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really heartbreaking. In some way, we all can relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your grandmother :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bah! I'm sitting at my desk crying. I miss my grandmother so much sometimes. I can still totally remember her voice though, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone - Thank you all for your kind words. As short as this post was, I think it was by far the hardest to write. I tried my hand a number of posts were I recounted a memory of my grandmother, but kept coming back to this one.

    ReplyDelete