Saturday, April 21, 2012

S is for Snakes

NOTE: I'm cheating a little bit here. This is a repost of one of my favorite memories with Cyra. I was really stuck for a topic and quite honestly I'm just a bit burnt out with all the posting. Not to mention that I was (for a change) pretty busy today. The following story took place shortly after we moved into the new house in July of 2011. I'll be back on Monday with all new posts to wrap up the last week of the Blogging A to Z Challenge.


Having an outdoor space that we can actually move around in is one of the reasons why Scott and I liked this house so much. The girls have a great place to play and run around and actually get to be kids. Towering trees, a pond and a gazebo make it an excellent place for young explorers.

The only draw back we’ve discovered is that despite all of our camping trips, the girls, mostly Cyra, are not 100% sure which bugs, spiders and snakes to avoid. So I found a friendly blog about snakes that live in Florida that had some amazing pictures.

“Look, Cyra,” I say pointing at the screen, “this one is an Eastern Diamondback Rattler. Stay the Hell away from this one.”

“Do they live here?”

“Yes. But you probably won’t see on in the yard. Besides, you’ll hear it before you see it anyway.” I click on the next picture. “See this one?”

“Yes.” Cyra says. “What is it?”

“It is a Southern Copperhead. Stay the Hell away from this one.”

“Okay, Mommy.” She pulls her feet up onto the couch and looks anxiously at the floor.

“Okay.” I tell her clicking on the next picture. “This is a Coral Snake. Really stay the Hell away from this one.”

“Mom, but the Scarlett King snake is okay.” Ashleigh pipes in.

“Yeah, but to be safe, stay the Hell away from both of them,” I reply.

“Mommy, I know that if the red and yellow touch it’s venomous,” Cyra states.

I nod and click on another picture.

“Look, this one is a Cottonmouth. Stay the Hell away from it.”

“I get it, Mommy.” Cyra says.

“Good.”

“Mom? Shouldn't you just tell her to stay away from all the snakes?” Ashleigh asks.

“Well, yeah, but like this one?” I click to another photo. “Eastern Indigo. Good snake to have around. And they’re pretty.” I look at the picture for a minute. “This is the one you saw, Cyra that made you jump 12 feet into the air shrieking like a banshee!” I pause, “You should probably just stay away from snakes.”

I swivel the desk chair around to face the girls. Cyra’s feet are tucked up tight beneath her.

“I am never going outside again,” she says.

“That’s silly,” I tell her, “What are you going to do when you see a snake in the yard?”

“Stay the Hell away from it!” she exclaims.

6 comments:

  1. Ha! You should write the descriptions for a reptile zoo. At the end of every descriptive plaque, you could finish with "Stay the hell away from it".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Cyra your suggestion and next time we head to the zoo she said she'd mention it to one of the zookeeper!

      Delete
  2. That advice doesn't apply to just snakes. I tended to use it when my kids were younger in regard to a lot of dangerous things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've expanded the advice to include spiders, scorpions, zombies and YA Paranormal Romances.

      Delete
  3. Hah! That was hilarious. Thanks for sharing, Heather.

    ReplyDelete